Saturday, February 18, 2017

Tail covering

The vertical tail took quite literally all day.  I cut separate left/right pieces.

The first half went reasonably well.  It wasn't hard, just a lot of bolts to go around near the trailing edge in particular.  The cutout for the control linkage was a particularly challenging area.  I ended up making a grommet using a piece of thin metal roof flashing.

The flashing was bonded onto the skin and then a larger patch put on top.  Perhaps the slit could have been shorter, which I'll know after a full reassembly.  With the long slit cut, the grommet deformed a bit relieving the tension in the aft portion of the covering.  Meh, it'll be okay.

 After an evening of covering the second side, I got to the point of match drilling the new tail bracket to fit the tail on.  It's now fixed in place and fully remounted.  The controls have been re-rigged as well, and they work fine.  It's weird having the skins attached.  Just different.

To another day...

1 comment:

Kevin Kat said...

Hi Dan, I really like grommet you made out of metal flashing. I noticed you mentioned it deformed slightly under tension with the fabric though. I am thinking of doing the same thing, but I wonder if you heat shrunk the fabric before installing the grommet?

Thanks

Kevin Kat

Locations of visitors to this page