Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nothing major, but starting work on the elevator

Not much major went on last night. I made two parts for G4T5 that hold the elevator leading edge onto the trailing edge piece and shores up the link between the control arm and the elevator torque tube (i.e. the leading edge).

Making these kind of parts isn't bad, but my right arm sure does need a break after cutting about two inches of aluminum plate. Maybe this is a good exercise for me!

I did apparently mis-order trailing edge tubing and missed one of the 70" tubes for the elevator trailing edge. I'll just have to wait until next order to finish the elevator. The next order will also pick up about 5 bolts I missed for miscellaneous locations, too. I definitely am learning how NOT to miss parts for the next order; it's mega sad to go through my box of parts and go "oh man, where's AN3-6A? Doh!"

In related news, I spec'd out the parts needed for the nose section (G4N1 through G4N6). I think I have planned this to be my Thanksgiving project. Maybe I'll take the lot home when I head to the family's house? Hm. At any rate, sticking to my plane budget, I can't spend any more for three weeks anyhow. But, at least I have the parts list done! It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I kept the pieces to 60" (a bit cheaper to ship) and checked them off the plans as I went. There is a TON of 3/4" x 0.035" tube, something like 60ft!

Definitely a fun project to keep me company in the evenings after work is done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

re. tired arms - you should wander over to the design school and try their excellent metal cutting bandsaws...

Locations of visitors to this page