Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wheee!

Cooking with gas again!

I was never really satisfied with 25deg rudder for only 1" rudder pedal deflection, so I started the morning by making a longer rudder control arm. I lengthened the part by 1" each side and now the pedals feel much better.

I also ordered 1/8" AmSteel-Blue 12-strand rope (very-low stretch) for the rigging. At only $0.43/ft, it wasn't too hard of a choice to use the "free shipping" that West-Marine has going on this weekend. I did a LOT of research yesterday to move away from the Lightning Rope. The AmSteel-Blue looks to be the updated version of Lightning Rope. It has a similar low-stretch: less than 1% elongation at 30% of breaking strength (2500 lb). Sandlin spec'd 7/64", so since I'm deviating I thought it was prudent to go the next size up to 1/8", which costs only two-tenths of a pound per 100ft of rope and gives almost 1000lb extra breaking strength. I'll consider this well-purchased insurance and eat the nose weight.

Speaking of control rigging, I finally used some of that Berkley Point hardware to connect the lines in a similar fashion to how it's supposed to work. Previously I had been simply tying new knots every time I assembled the plane. Now, I can get used to connecting the quick links to the snap hooks and start making a mental procedure to keep from connecting them incorrectly. I haven't set these up for the right lengths yet, so don't stress. I did install four new line guides on the bottom of the main fuselage carry-through tube. Coolbeans.

Last, I installed the tail strut end brackets on ~Thursday evening. They sure make quick assembly of the horizontal stabilizer onto the vertical tail. It's super nice to have the horizontal structurally held in place rather than with the stupid string I was using.

Feels like it's all coming together. 'bout time to get material for and start on the wings and feel under-whelmed again, heh ;-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The longer rudder control arm will result in less rudder deflection for a given foot pedal deflection. Is this what you wanted? This stuff is easy to change later, anyway.
I'm still buying lightning rope because it does not take a "set", a permanent stretch after the first high load. Sprctron 12 requires control line re-tightening after a few flights, Lightning Rope (Vectran/Dyneema mix) does not, don't know about Amsteel. The larger lne will have more drag going through the small pulleys, but I've used it, it's okay.

Locations of visitors to this page