Saturday, May 14, 2011

Side Project -- continuing to set up the shop

In the do-it-yourself spirit, I have been working to build up my shop capabilities and storage space. The first real project was (is) a shop tool chest to finally combine all my smaller storage into one central location. Or if you're reading between the lines, it was an excuse to try my hand at furniture fabrication ;-)

I have had the tool chest case done for a few weeks and finally today cut out all but one of the drawers. The upper three are installed, the lower two ready for drawer slides, and the sixth is waiting for a measurement of what space is left over before I knock it out on the new (used) table saw. I love the stacked dado set ... I had always watched Norm Abrams on New Yankee Workshop and wanted to try that myself. It takes a bit of time making sure the settings are right, but then it's really easy to knock out a half dozen parts in mere minutes.

Next up is the false fronts that absorb any visual misalignment that the drawers have. That's a project for another weekend I'm afraid.

3 comments:

Alan said...

nice. my dad and I would watch the new yankee workshop all the time! I liked the one where Norm built a sailboat of course. Keep up the good work and don't forget the most important safety equipment...safety glasses.

Anonymous said...

Hi there - just to let you know that someone is still following the build! Great to be able to see whats involved before deciding if I'm going to launch into a Goat or not! Keep up the good work - this is the closest thing to a step by step guide I've seen!
Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

Also following the build - impressive. Thanks

Locations of visitors to this page