Saturday, June 15, 2013

Struts delight!

A big day for Goat, getting through cutting the aft struts to length.  It took several hours for me to sort out why my measurements were still coming out with about 2" of asymmetry.  Everything seemed to check out and yet the right strut measurement kept coming out as 2" longer than the left strut needed.  I was aiming for no washout, given that this is a rectangular wing and will stall kindly anyway.  Adjusting every which string tension didn't seem to do it.

Then it hit me: the wing was a parallelogram.  A quick measurement confirmed that, two inches out of square. Loosen all the internal drag bracing, pick one to tighten, and viola now the struts matched up.  Took off 6.5" exactly from each aft strut and that was about as close to no washout as I could set it.

Only took five hours to make two cuts and drill two holes.  And that doesn't include last weekend's setup.

While I had everything out and assembled, I finally match-drilled several of the 3/16" holes out to their full 1/4" hole size.  The LE and TE center wing joints and the strut attach to the nose section.

Now I'll make motions toward cleanup of the assemblies and also make steps toward jury struts!  Solid progress.

1 comment:

Justme / Just in said...

Keep up the good work! Glad to find another active ultralight builder. Definitely will follow your progress.

Locations of visitors to this page