Monday, October 14, 2013

Cables and tensioning connectors


Columbus Day was mid 70's and super sunny.  And my wife had work, so I was home alone and took the chance to work on Goat all day :-)

I set Goat up outside the front of the garage rather than the back yard so I had better access to my tools.  The tire was leaky (around the stem, no way to patch that one), so removing this also let Goat sit level rather than roll back & sit on a wing tip.  Convenient!  And Aircraft Spruce got another $11 from me, doh.

The main idea for today was to replace all the string with cables, working through them one at a time.  I started with the sweep cables, which first meant adjusting all the internal wing bracing to get the leading edge straight.  Then, cut cables and swage one end.  I also needed the non-tensioning connectors for the leading edge tube ... found something pretty close in my leftover parts bin for a temporary part (shown in picture).

I now realize I need to make a whole bunch of 3/16" quick pins, which means cutting a whole bunch of 1/2" wide brackets.  Need additional tools...

Next I decided to tackle the strut, cabane, and nose section attachment point.  This has been a sticking point since I decided to switch from cable-braced to strut-braced configuration.  The old temporary cabane attachment with the single tongue kept falling off the back of the quick-pin, even with the rubber loops.  I did previously put in the AN-42B eye bolt into the strut attachment as per G3 drawings, so switching to that was the logical choice I guess.  I tried to match things up as best I could, cutting off the lower hole from the cabane, and effectively lengthened the cabane about 1/4" in the end.  The new attachment, being in double-shear and capturing an eye bolt, feels way more solid.  I still need to shorten the aft cabane strut.


Here is a shot of mid-way through the modification process.  The lower hole shown was the previous upper hole, resulting from cutting 1" off the tube.  The forward attachment bracket is inside the cabane.  I need to match drill the second bracket, and match drill these for a new upper cabane hole.  Then I'll have to shorten the rear cabane strut.  The other end will be easier to shorten since it is round.



So here's the cabane to strut to nose section carry-through as I left it tonight.  Muuuch better. 

I realized the plans call for a castle nut and cotter pin for the cabane to strut attach, but this is better assembled using a 3/16" quick pin.

I have seen some modifications to the quick-pins by others on the internet.  I'm going to reserve judgement until I finish more.  Perhaps a reusable cotter pin.

Now I'm just going to post some random photos without descriptions, just because I think you might like pictures.









2 comments:

Gumby said...

Dan you know the internet loves pictures!

Anonymous said...

?? I hope you truck-tested this before flying it

Locations of visitors to this page