Monday, December 21, 2009

We have a tail!

I made a bending jig from a few spare drill bits and a bench vice. This kept from marring the surface of the soft aluminum parts. It took a few tries bending to get the right angle. I bent the pair at the same time so they have the same angle. Eventually I cut the two parts free, cleaned everything up, then started tweaking them individually... I really should mount my vice to the bench.
After a while, I mounted them to my jig and got things moving. Spaced properly and with a perfectly fitting bolt between the two tabs, I was able to match drill each of the connecting holes one at a time to have a perfect joint. Yay, one more hard step to go!




Then I finally actually mounted the tailbooms! The lower one was considerably easier with the nice alignment from the jig and all the close-up attention. The top one wasn't quite as easy. But it's done, so that's that. I used a 3/16" bolt so I can enlarge to 1/4" like I'm supposed to and take care of any misalignment.

I'm happy to sit in the seat with the tail sticking out behind me, self-supported. I just have to be careful not to lean it over and twist the two joints all to pieces.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page