Sunday, December 13, 2009

A trip to West Marine

I decided to go get some more parts for Goat. Unfortunately, West Marine didn't have any more quick links than just this one, nor did they have the Ronstan shackle RF1853. Bummer. That's okay I suppose though. I'll try again later at another store...

I also need a cheaper source for 1/8" steel quick-links than West Marine. I counted over 20 at first glance at the plans and at $7 apiece, this begins to hurt a little. Surely there is another source without as much markup.

The pulleys are super sweet though!

4 comments:

Alan Beavis said...

For quicklinks try here.
http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/quicklink_metric.html

Robert Gus Gissing said...

can you maybe explain why you have chosen to build a Goat as opposed to a BUG. I am curious

Robert Gus Gissing said...

Can you explain why you chose to build a GOAT instead of a BUG. I want to build a motorized version but i do not know which one to build. What was the motizator for your choice of designs

burnt said...

Thanks for the link Alan!!! $1.19 is a HUGE price break :-)

Robert, I chose Goat because I am a glider guy and a fan of aspect ratio. It'll be a little harder to transport, but easier to build in the end (2 wings rather than 4). I'm hoping for relatively better performance from the lack of cables.

For what it's worth, I read FAA Part 103 regs and the 155lb limit is for unpowered aircraft. If you're putting a motor on, P103 gives a 254lb limit, which certainly gives some leeway to bulk up structurally (you may already know this). I think Goat could receive a motor just as easily as Bug.

Dan

Locations of visitors to this page