Sunday, July 7, 2019

Odd jobs

Now I'm checking off odd jobs again.  Small stuff takes random amounts of time and comes with little rewards that add up to satisfaction that it's almost ready.

I finished covering the right aileron yesterday.  Man, covering takes time, working over every square inch of the edges and especially around places with high curvature.  Here is the aileron (and cabanes) covered.


Last assembly, I noticed that the aileron lines from both left and right attached with hooks to the control system in the fuselage.  Without being genderized, there is the possibility of assembling the ailerons reversed.  Whereas I want to claim I'm smart enough to not have that happen, there is no reason to gamble on myself.  I added a quick link and snap hook to one side of the linkage, and added a corresponding welded steel ring to the other end of the line.  This way, it literally won't hook up incorrectly.  This was per the drawings, for what it's worth.

Also related to the aileron hookup, the control rods are supposed to mounted permanently to the wing per the drawings.  I found they would flop around during assembly and got in the way, or jammed up.  Instead, I made an extra set of quick pins.  These pieces will be mounted after assembly.  They'll also be easy to get lost, since they're loose items.  Perhaps someone can recommend a better idea?

Lastly, I added a reinforcement patch to the vertical tail section to (finally) install the horizontal retention clip bungee.  This location also is convenient to hold the tail struts during transport.  After some trial and error, I discovered the flying wires can be clipped into the micro clips to keep them from flopping around as much during transportation.  These always bugged me, so it's wonderful to have a keeper.

I'm staring at covering the wings as the next real work task.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page