Sunday, September 15, 2019

Musings about transportation

There are not a whole lot of physical things left to do on the aircraft, so I'm looking at transportation as the next big task.

A trailer is the obvious choice.  I already have a 4x4 trailer base that could be stretched and a new top made to haul Goat, and I could enclose it to store the aircraft in the trailer outdoors.  The major downside is that I don't have a good place to store the trailer when not at the airfield.  It can't stay on my street for more than 10 days.  I could push it into my back yard, but don't want to be "that" neighbor.  The trailer is even too long to store inside my garage.  And the vehicle I have to tow is a Prius, which I have seen towing a Sunfish sailboat on a trailer, but towing isn't approved.

Here is a flatbed trailer that I was looking at pretty hard:


Here is the Yando Goat trailer, which would be similar to my plan for a home-built enclosed trailer:

The other option is a rooftop system.  A Prius is also not the ideal rooftop vehicle.  The Thule roof rack only spaces about 27 inches between bars, and the Yakima roof rack spaces 34 inches.  For a wing panel that is 18 feet long, there should be more support.  And I have to drive about 60 miles at highway speeds to either of the two places targeted for a maiden flight, so it needs to be well secured.

This guy had a narrow roof rack for the long Goat wing, so maybe it would work for me.  It just looks sketchy for highway use.

This guy has a forward support mounted somehow under his hood, but which gives a lot more support to the length of the wing panel.


The Prius does have a pair of screw-in eyebolt locations in the front bumper, typically used for towing.  These might be okay bolt-points for mounting a support frame.  But how about something on the rear bumper?  Apparently you can get these kayak/canoe bed extenders that plug into a hitch:

The combination of a roof rack and support T-frame would let me strap the wings to the roof rack, and slide them reasonably far aft to leverage the support coming off the hitch.  Would it look weird?  Probably.  But that just might be the best option I have!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remove the plastic bumper cover, you'll see lots of ways to attach.
Save your cover and get a used one from the wrecking yard to cut up with holes for the mounts.

Locations of visitors to this page