Sunday, June 19, 2016

Tons of work accomplished


New bolt to support the forward cable guides:


Tail skid now more roundy.  All I did was rotate it 90 degrees and round it over slightly.

Rivets for the ailerons:

Added a tube to mount the seat:

Added the slots to mount the aileron crank plates.  I'm a bit sketched out putting slots into a tube like this, but was willing to give it a try because I can always remake the tube if I need to:

Working to replace this sketchy wing bracket.  This is the before picture.  Note the small distance between the bolt and the edge of the bracket on the left of the picture.

While I was replacing the strut bracket, it was time to work on the main load path in general.  The base tube (strut attachment though the nose) had holes for the strut brackets that meant I had to twist the struts during assembly to get the main pins to slip through the holes.  I remade the base tube (again) and mounted it to the nose.  It only took practically taking the entire nose section apart to get the old one out.  And then I spent a solid hour in the back yard aligning the struts and marking the holes before match-drilling the four holes one at a time.

After the strut carry-through was done, I put the seat back on.  Boy it looks good.  
 

And of course I sat in it and made airplane noises :-)   With the high edges, my hips are well supported, but I also can't get my feet on the ground anymore.


That's pretty much everything prior to a structural load test.  I'm debating a few options for what's next for that prep.  I can stay local and build a giant gazebo rig, or I can work on transportation to a large swingset a few hours south.  We'll see.


Cabanes:
  • DONE new cabane aft tubes with sleeves
  • DONE cabane compression braces (some are loose after the cabane rework from G3 to G4 design)
Control surfaces:
  • DONE glass the right aileron ribs
  • DONE flip fwd aileron control horn bolt to other direction ... and switch to AN3-13
  • DONE rivet aileron crank tube to trailing edge (G4S4)
Nose:
  • DONE aileron crank tube slots
  • change control stick axis bolt to drilled with cotter pin (will have to remove the torque tube)
  • sidewalls in forward nose section (G4N13) 
  • make a nose skid (G4N10)
Tail:
  • DONE AN3-26A bolt into the forward line guide bracket, replacing a rivet (G4T14)
  • DONE round off the tail skid to be more roundy than pointy
  • DONE swage aft cables (4x remaining) 
  • replace lower horizontal strut to tail connection bolt with a longer one
  • check all bolts are appropriate grip lengths
Wing:
  • DONE remake the wing strut bracket marked "replace" 
  • glass the ribs to LE and TE
  • stiffener for aileron control line 
  • leading edge shell (G4S9) ... the Colombian Goat uses a piece of sheet aluminum instead of foam
Miscellaneous:
  • wrap every pulley with tape and heat shrink to hold stiff and straight
  • threadlock on every quick-link
  • check every quick pin for elastic retainers are both present and correct length (several are just singles)
Buy list:
  • covering and adhesive
  • (1x) 1/8" SS quick-link

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page