Saturday, January 1, 2022

Probably the last trailer work before welding

I had a nice holiday break.  It was mid-60's at times and so it was wonderful to be in the garage.

I drilled small a hole for the tail light wires and routed them through.  It occurred to me at this point that the UMHW plastic spacer between the aluminum frame and the steel bracket would electrically isolate the ground line.  Doh.  I'll either remove the spacer entirely (and add dielectric grease), replace the plastic spacer with a sacrificial aluminum shim, create a jumper, or maybe just see if the stainless steel bolt does fine.  Thank you for the grease suggestions D.

While doing wiring, I did try out the wiring holes through the holes in the cross-members.  Here is a close-up shot of that, and you can also see how the c-channel mitering works.

As cleanup, I made sure that all seven cross-members had the same fit and exact same length (under a 1/16th).  It's overkill for a trailer, but why do something just half-way at this point?

I also cleaned up the 16 wedge shims with a center mark (no pic, sorry) and figured out where to mount them on each cross-member.  This is prepped for welding.

The amber side lights will wait until after welding.  I do have marked out places for 5x each side, thinking ahead that I won't want someone to merge into a dark space behind my car at night.  It should be hard to miss the giant white wings, but I'm not going to count on that.

I think that may be just about it for the trailer prep.  Welding is next.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page