Thursday, January 27, 2022

Welding!

I'm a bad welder.  But I am welding instead of not welding

It does take a whole lot of stuff to do TIG welding: gloves, helmet, welder, argon, regulator, hoses, welding rods, torch, tungsten, foot pedal, ground clamp, wire brush.  Lots of stuff.  At least it's fun.

I did jump to welding some of the trailer parts the same evening after practicing.  Yes, I couldn't wait.  It doesn't look great, but I think it'll hold enough for this purpose.  I'll get better.

The one bummer so far is that my 110VAC connection doesn't let me push more than 120A (on the 200A welder), and I'm needing more amperage for the thick trailer material.  However, I have a sub panel next to my workbench and can work something out for 220VAC over the weekend.  We'll see when I can sneak to Home Depot...

On a side note, the tow release is waiting until I get better before I waste the several hours of hand filing of the base plate by accidentally over-heating or being bad at fillets.  It'll come.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page