Sunday, January 30, 2022

Trailer!

It's tacked together healthy enough for a test spin around the neighborhood!  It's a bit flexy in torsion and loooong making turns.  Hopefully it'll stiffen up with a deck on top...

I am still not a good welder, but at least it's stuck together.  I struggled a bit with the 1/4" thick webs of the c-channel pieces making a fillet to another 1/4" thick web.  The tungsten tip kept eroding (exploding?) no matter my changes in technique or settings or type of tungsten (tried blue, green, and red).  Perhaps a thicker tungsten would have helped?  The lowest AC balance I can set is 30% cleaning.  I tried frequency of 40Hz, 60Hz, and 80Hz with no real difference between them.

The other thing difficult was the 1/16" 4043 filler rod would melt before I could get it to the weld puddle.  Is 1/16" just too small for the heat that 150-200A throws off?  Or is the eroded tip making too a wide of an arc cone that melts the filler rod too?  I ran about 15-20 LPH on the Argon flow meter.

Some welds are okay.  Some welds are ugly.  A few welds seem nice.  Here's a nice one:

Welding is done for the weekend because the Argon is all gone.  I only have a 60 cu-ft tank and welded for probably 6-8 hours including a bunch of practice.

I need to finish all the places that should have full welds and go back over a few of the early ones that are not very pretty.  The auto-tow mechanism is also still waiting patiently.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page