Saturday, January 22, 2022

Tow release is all but welded

The tow release mechanism is finished, shy of welding and a 3/4-inch hole.  I think it looks awesome.  Here are pictures for both latched and unlatched.  The release arm takes somewhere around 3-10lb of pull pressure to activate the release.


The only difficulty was the tolerance stack-up of the thicknesses of the metal made the latch just a bit on the tight side, so I thinned the latch arm and washers by lapping them on 800 grit sandpaper.  This also polished those parts so they slide smoothly.  I think it looks awesome as a result of the polishing.  I will just increase the spacing of the slots if I ever make this again.

The 3/4-inch hole for the bolt to the hitch is larger than any drill bits that I have, so I'm still working on finding a large bit.  But, a quick test with the 3D printed mechanism with a slightly loose locknut suggests it'll be able to rotate in the yaw direction on the hitch.  (Alan, thanks for the heads-up that is definitely needed)

I haven't figured out how to manage the line tension overall.  Placing a strain-gauge on the hitch metal could work!  For the first flights, I'm hoping to get away without knowing or managing the tension directly.

Welding stuff arrives in a few days...  Thursday's high is 29F, so TBD on how quickly I can actually get to trying it all out though.

1 comment:

Alan Beavis said...

Hi Dan,
Disregard the following if it has already been considered.
While towing hang gliders in strong thermal conditions I have attained in excess of 1600 feet on a 2000 foot tow line. The angle of the tow line can get quite steep. If the release is not going to be able to rotate vertically, then it would be a good idea to also test under load (150-200 lb) with the tow line coming in at a vertical angle (maybe 45 - 60 degrees) to ensure the design has catered for the additional loading on the release lever.
cheers Alan

Locations of visitors to this page